Sunday, June 15, 2008

Silk Chiffon Layered Top

I bought this Burntout Silk Chiffon on EBay from Japan and I love it, it is so soft and light weight!!! However, I never knew what to make out of it.... While doing our "Sewing Inspiration Course" I had this idea for a top and thought it would look great in the material.

In our course we learnt how to use different textured fabrics and layering. Here I have used sequin material, chiffons, tafetta and lace to layer the bottom of the top. As I am a Pear shape I used the layering at the bottom of the top, so it did not look like I had been cut-off at the hips from the hem.
I gathered the front and have little layered sleeves that sit just off the shoulders. The sleeves also make my neck and shoulders apear wider, this balances out the pear shaped hips and takes the emphasis upwards and not to the hips.
I love having tops that are versatile, so I attached the sleeves with press-studs. I can then remove them so when I want to wear the top out at night and make it a bit funky.

I would have never worn red! but after having my colours done, Autumn's can wear tomato red... I don't really like tomato red as a colour, but if I combine it with a nice design that suits me, I really don't mind wearing it....

I was quite pleased with how this turned out. Let me know if you like the idea of having sleeves that are removable, or would you not have the time to fiddle around with them?

I appreciate any type of feedback!
Thanks, Lee-Ane

No comments: